As seen on
Just Landlords have been providing landlord insurance for over 20 years and pride themselves in offering specialist cover for residential properties, particularly those that are considered 'non-standard' such as those that are unoccupied or used as holiday homes. Indeed, since 2011 Just Landlords has been awarded a 5 star rating from independent analysts Defaqto, meaning their offer is considered to be one of the best on the market.
But what do customers say about their experience with Just Landlord? Well, it appears that they also rate their landlord insurance offer very highly with Just Landlords scoring a very impressive 4.5 out of 5 across over 1000 review on Trustpilot, indicating an 'excellent' customer experience.
But is this simply too good to be true? In this review we'll take a closer look at what is included in Just Landlords' landlord insurance cover along with feedback from verified customers and how their price compares to its rivals.
In This Review
- Just Landlords Landlord Insurance: Overall Review
- How to Claim
- Just Landlords Landlord insurance: discounts and savings
Compare Landlord Insurance
Only one form to fill out. Find the insurance you need today.
Just Landlords Landlord Insurance Overall Review
Just Landlords provides a refreshingly honest approach to landlord insurance, having noticed that many of its rivals stayed clear of certain areas of the market, it set a goal of providing specialist cover for landlords without any hidden fees. Because of this, Just Landlords is proud of the fact its offer includes 40 types of cover as standard, setting it apart from its competitors in many ways. Owing to this comprehensive level of coverage, it has continually earned a 5 star rating from Defaqto indicating an offer that is reliable and of the highest quality.
As we have already seen, it scores an 'excellent' rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Trustpilot, with many verified customers commending Just Landlords on their flexible coverage and competitive prices. This is because unlike some other direct providers of landlord insurance such as DirectLine and Aviva, Just Landlords works with a panel of insurers to ensure you receive the best policy at a competitive price.
Just Landlords has also positioned itself as the go-to provider for non-standard properties that many other insurers will not cover due to their inherently higher risks. They offer specialist policies for long-term unoccupied properties, holiday and second homes which may be desirable if you are a landlord that has struggled in the past to find comprehensive cover.
Of course, it is important to step back and look at the bigger picture here. Whilst its unique offers are indeed appealing, we also need to consider what features are included (and excluded) as well as how the price compares to similar offers by its big name competitors. With this review we will take a look at these points in detail, and we hope to offer you a thorough overview of Just Landlords' landlord insurance offer so you have all the information you need to determine whether it is right for you.
Why choose Just Landlords Landlord insurance?
With 40 covers included as standard in their landlord insurance offer, it comes as no surprise that there are many benefits of choosing Just Landlords. Here are some key incentives we feel are worthy of mentioning:
- 5 star Defaqto rated cover
- 40 covers as standard
- Covers niche areas of the landlord market: e.g. unoccupied properties and holiday homes
- Flexible cover: they work with a panel of insurers to ensure you have a policy to suit you
- UK based customer service team
- Excellent customer feedback
- Interest free direct debit over 12 months
Just Landlords Landlord insurance reviews and ratings
Alan Boswell Customer Ratings
|5 stars (landlord insurance specific)|
|4.5 out of 5 (landlord insurance specific)|
Just Landlords achieves glowing reviews all round, by customers and industry experts alike. Scoring an almost perfect Trustpilot rating of 4.5 out of 5 and a perfect 5 star Defaqto rating, Just Landlord has positioned itself as leading landlord insurance provider. Let's take a look at what some verified customers have to say about their experience...
What does Just Landlords Landlord insurance do well?
The customer reviews for Just Landlords landlord insurance are overwhelming, with many calling out their competitive prices and quick customer service response. We also found that Just Landlord was highly praised for the ease with which quotes were obtained, and how simple and clear the details of the coverage were communicated.
“I like the fact everything is online and when I need support I can email and they respond within the hour”
“Most competitive and easiest Landlords insurance company to deal with. They actually answer the phone!”
“Just Landlords have proved to be first class in all their dealings with us as landlords. Always helpful and when called upon to settle a major claim, dealt with it promptly and without making the situation any more difficult than it already was”
“Easy to use quote site and quickly answered phone enquiry service”
“Slightly more expensive than with a direct ins co such as AXA but more competitive than the confused.com etc sites & I believe offers better cover , simple & efficient quotation system - easy to take up the offer with simple DD payment options & interest free”
“Started new policy online. Price is reasonable. Couple of questions answered by phone very professionally. Very courteous”
“I have insured a rental property with Just Landlords for many years and, although I have so far never made a claim so cannot judge the insurers from that perspective, I have always found them very easy to deal with on the phone - efficient, helpful, reliable and kind”
“Unlike other insurance companies, Just Landlords online quotations are made very easy to understand and to complete. This was a very simple and efficient process. I did have cause to speak to one of the members of telephone sales, who was incredibly helpful and patient with me and as a first time Landlord looking for two types of Insurances, the service I have received has been incredibly supportive and efficient, easy to follow and understand”
What could Just Landlords Landlord insurance improve on?
Although customers appeared to have an overwhelmingly positive experience with Just Landlords, there are still some areas of improvement. Namely, customers found themselves frustrated with the claims process and having to go through third-party insurers who have underwritten their policy rather than deal directly through Just Landlords. We also found that some customers were unhappy about Just Landlords administration fee when they wished to cancel or amend their policy as well as delays to the renewal process.
“This year my tenant has not paid his rent since Jan 2021 and I've had to make a claim. My insurance claim seems to be going through Lexelle. It has been approved via the underwriters however I've been told there may not be enough money in the pot and if that's the case they'll have to ask the underwriters for more money? When I do receive any money they take the deposit off and pay a month behind. So at the moment I have missed my rent for...4 months. I have as of today received nothing...Thought I'd really got myself covered but struggling now. This is my main income”
“Because we DARED claim for 1 new front door for one of our properties, our renewal has been refused for 43 properties, point blank and just plain childish. The point of insurance is that you can claim and it is not all a one way street but I thought wrong. They point blank refused to return the money to the account it came from to pay for the urgently needed repair. Ended up in County Court claims which they had no choice but to pay up”
“Why a £17.50 administration fee? What administration are you doing? I received an automatic email. I payed online. Regardless, why not just increase the renewal fee by £17.50, if you can't afford to offer me a renewal at this price?”
“For the last 3 years, I've had to chase them to send renewal documents through to me. Each time my cover has come close to lapsing and would have lapsed completely if I hadn't done all the legwork and chasing up”
How much is Just Landlords Landlord insurance?
We have compiled quotes for a 1 bedroom flat located outside of London in a mid-sized town, with a rebuild value of £200,000. We found that for a no-frills policy with buildings insurance and property owners liability of £5 million as standard, our sample quote from Just Landlords was the most expensive out of the big-name providers we compared.
Landlord insurance quote comparison for a 1 bedroom flat (£annual)
|£264 (highest sample quote)|
|£128 (lowest sample quote)|
|£112 (highest sample quote)|
|£56 (lowest sample quote)|
Of course, these quotes are intended to be used as a guideline, and your quotes may be higher or lower depending on your own individual circumstances. But is this higher pricetag really worth it?
Well, at first glance it appears Just Landlords offers a range of desirable features as standard. In fact, 40 different covers are included which may explain the premium. These include full accidental damage cover and malicious damage by tenants, often offered as an additional add-on by competitors, as well as the core features we would expect from any good landlord insurance policy.
Let's take a closer look...
What is/isn’t covered by Just Landlords Landlord insurance?
As we have mentioned, Just Landlords are proud of the fact their standard landlord insurance offer includes 40 different covers. A very competitive offer indeed! Here are the key features you need to be aware of:
- Buildings insurance: covers you in the event of loss or damage due your rental property as a result of fire, lightening, storm, explosion, flood, escape of water from any fixed appliance, theft or attempted theft, malicious damage and more. Also covers damage due to subsidence, landslips or heave of the site on which your property stands
- Landlords contents (£5,000 limit per claim): similar to the above, if any of the contents you provide for you tenants are lost or damaged as a result of any of the above events, this feature with the costs of repairing or replacing these items. This includes things like curtains, carpets, blinds and white goods
- Accidental damage of buildings and contents: in the event your buildings or contents are damaged accidentally (e.g. red wine spill stains the carpet), Just Landlords will cover the cost of replacement or repair of these
- Landlord liability (£5million): protects you if you are sued for causing injury or damage to a third party
- Landlord employers liability (£10 million): a legal requirement if you employee any number of staff (note, there are some exceptions), this feature will protect you if you are held liable for bodily injury to a domestic staff member in connection with your business
- Loss of rental income and alternative tenant accommodation (£1million limit): if your property is made uninhabitable, for example, due to flooding, Just Landlords will provide up to £1 million to cover the costs of sourcing alternative tenant accommodation whilst your property is made habitable again. This feature also protects you against the rental income you might lose as a result
- Malicious damage and theft by tenants: if a tenant purposely loses or damages your property or any contents you provide within it, this will help cover the costs of replacing or repairing this damage. Just Landlords also provide up to £5,000 worth of cover for costs associated with any theft or attempted theft made by the tenants
- Replacement locks (£5000 limit): covers costs incurred by the replacement of keys or locks to external doors at the premises (including final exit doors for individual flats/apartments) in the event of loss or theft
- Unauthorized alterations: covers the necessary costs you may incur in reinstating the premises back to its original condition immediately prior to the current rental period if your tenant(s) alters or changes the structure of the premises without your knowledge or consent, including where these alterations or changes are when the premises have been or are being used as a drug factory
- Unauthorized use of water, electricity and gas: will help cover the costs following unauthorized use of these services supplying your property, for which you are legally responsible for
Just Landlords offers landlord rent guarantee (with legal expenses cover up to £50,000) starting at £139 for a 12 month policy, available to purchase alongside your main landlord insurance cover.
- Landlord rent guarantee with landlord legal expenses: rent guarantee will cover you if a tenant is unable to make rental payments regardless of whether your property is habitable or not (e.g. if the tenant has recently lost their job). Just Landlords will cover rent arrears of up to £2,500 per month and will also cover any legal expenses (up to £50,000) associated with legal defence or or pursuit. This includes any eviction proceedings and rent recovery
Just Landlords provides a very comprehensive level of cover in their standard landlord insurance offer. From our research we were only able to find one key feature missing from their policy and which is not available to purchase as an add on.
Landlord home emergency cover: in the event of an emergency (e.g. a boiler breakdown), Just Landlords do not provide cover for the call-out costs, labour and parts required to resolve the issue. This is worth bearing in mind, as accidental can and do happen, and it can be very costly to fix these issues.
Exclusions: What isn’t included?
As with almost any type of insurance, landlord insurance often contains some exclusions that are good to be aware of so you don’t get caught out. Just Landlords is no different, and we’ve outlined a few key ones below. Note, the full list is much longer, so make sure to read up on the exclusions prior to taking out any policy.
- Any existing damage or that which occurred prior to your policy start date
- Damage occurring as a result of faulty or defective materials, design or construction
- Damage to fences and gates caused by storms, flood, falling trees etc.
- Damage caused by changes in the water table level
- Damage inflicted by any person(s) unauthorized to be in your property
- Theft (or attempted) by you, family, employee
- Damage due to wear and tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, rust, rot/fungus, frost, vermin
- Damage occurring as a result of events linked to terrorism or war
- Loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by any criminal activity at the premises by the tenant(s) except where specified in the policy
- Loss or damage caused directly or indirectly to, by or from any felt roof at the premises unless the felt roof has been fully replaced or renewed in the last 12 years,
Another key point to remember as a landlord of a rented property is that if your property is unoccupied for longer than the period of time outlined in your policy, any damage or losses that occur within this time will often not be covered by your insurer. Be sure to check the details of your policy and your specific insurer so you know what the unoccupancy period is so you know when you are covered.
How does Just Landlords Landlord Insurance Compare to Competitors?
To better understand the value of Just Landlords Landlord insurance you need to look at it in the context of other available options. We compared it to other plans in the market so you can see which may be more suitable for you.
Just Landlords Landlord Insurance vs Direct Line Landlord Insurance
Direct Line is one of the UK’s largest and most reputable insurers, earning a 5-star rating from independent analysts Defaqto meaning they’re considered to be one of the best landlord insurance products on the market. With over 250,000 existing landlord insurance policy holders it is certainly a popular choice and has won multiple awards to boot. Its comprehensive cover includes buildings, contents and landlord liability included as standard.
Like Just Landlords, Direct Line offer a range of optional add-ons such as malicious damage by tenants, loss of rental income and legal expenses meaning you can curate the right policy for your needs. Direct Line also offer some discounts for new and existing landlords, such as a 10% multi-property discount if you’re looking to insure 15+ properties!
Bottom Line: If you’re looking for award-winning coverage from a reputable insurer then Direct Line may be another option to consider — their extensive range of policy add-ons also gives you the freedom to tailor your policy to suit your specific needs.
Just Landlords Landlord Insurance vs AXA Landlord Insurance
With 5 star Defaqto rated coverage and an ‘excellent’ customer experience rating of 4.3 out of 5 according to Trustpilot, AXA is certainly a firm favourite amongst experts and consumers alike. And for good reason; this multiple-award winning provider goes the extra mile, offering a 24 hour glass-replacement service, inflation protection and free access to a 24 hour emergency helpline for emergencies and legal advice.
Whilst our research found AXA to be slightly cheaper than Just Landlords, they still offer an exceptional level of standard cover which includes accidental damage and malicious damage by tenants. With a range of discounts for both new and existing customers, it is certainly worth considering.
Bottom line: AXA could be an ideal choice for landlords looking for a policy that covers (almost) all the bases, without the need to factor in extra costs incurred by adding on optional extras. Whilst our research found it to be a slightly cheaper alternative, AXA offer some of the most comprehensive standard landlord insurance cover on the market.
Just Landlords Landlord Insurance vs Aviva Landlord Insurance
Aviva is one of the UK’s largest insurance providers and has been in the insurance business for more than 320 years. Credit rating agency Moody considers it to be a reliable and capable insurer and its coverage is 4-star Defaqto rated, falling slightly short of Just Landlords perfect 5-stars.
However, Aviva offers a range of enticing benefits, such as online discounts, quick call out times, no-claims discount and a seamless claims process from an award-winning claims management team. Whilst our research found Aviva to be less expensive than Just Landlords for a sample landlord, Aviva do offer buildings and contents insured for an unlimited sum (terms apply) with their standard cover — a nice bonus!
As standard, Aviva also includes landlord liability of £5m as well as loss of rental income. Like Just Landlords, Aviva also offer a range of add-ons which allows you to tailor your policy to suit you.
Bottom line: another great option for those looking for landlord insurance cover from a reputable insurer who offers a variety of discounts and incentives to boot.
How to make a claim on Just Landlords Landlord insurance
You can find the details of how to make a claim on landlord insurance within the policy documents Just Landlords will provide if you choose to take out a policy with them. We've noted these below for your reference:
- Telephone: 0808 168 9220 (including out of hours)
- Email: [email protected] justlandlords.co.uk
Before you decide to make a claim, we recommend that you read your policy wording carefully to ensure that you are indeed covered. If you are, you may be asked to provide certain details and documentation such as your policy number, photographic evidence of your loss or damage, receipts and invoices so it’s always a good idea to have these handy, or be prepared to acquire these if necessary to avoid delay.
Just Landlords landlord insurance: Discounts and savings
At the time of writing, we have been unable to locate precise offers which will save you money on Just Landlords landlord insurance.
However, all is not lost. Typically, insurance providers will offer incentives and discounts to existing customers as well as discounts if you shop online, so be sure to double check these if you're thinking about taking out a policy with Just Landlords!
It depends on when you choose to cancel. You can cancel within the 14-day cooling off period (from when you receive your policy documentations) and, providing you have not made any claims, will receive a full refund.
If you wish to cancel after this 14-day cooling off period, providing you've made no claims, you will receive a refund proportional to the amount of time left on your policy but will be subject to a standard cancellation fee of £20.
In all cases, if you have made a claim on your landlord insurance and wish to cancel, you will not be eligible for a refund.