Sheilas’ Wheels is an esure. Does Sheilas’ Wheels offer good value for money? And what is missing on Sheilas’ Wheels policies? Let’s take a look at what Sheilas’ Wheels has to offer.
In This Review
- Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance: Overall Review
- Customer Reviews and Ratings
- Cost Comparison and Discounts
- Cancellation fees, phone numbers and policy documents
Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Overall Review
There are many good features included in a Sheilas’ Wheels comprehensive car insurance policy, which is probably why they've earned a 5 star Defaqto rating. These include windscreen repair or replacement, car recovery after an accident, motoring legal helpline and a courtesy car if your car is being repaired by their team after an insured accident. Plus those with a long history of no claims can keep up to 20 years of NCD with Sheilas' Wheels (longer than many other brands).
However, there are a few missing features. For example, keys are only covered for theft and if you can prove that the person with the keys knows your car or its location—not for loss or accidental damage unless you buy the Key Car add on. And there's no courtesy car if your car is stolen or written off. Breakdown cover is also an optional extra (from £38.14 via Moneysupermarket) and is provided by the RAC.
Child car seats are covered after an accident with Sheilas’ Wheels, which is great because car seats can be damaged even if they show no visible signs (which is part of the reason that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents recommends not buying a second-hand car seat). Given the high cost of car seats, many parents look for this feature in a car insurance policy. Sheilas' Wheels will contribute £100 towards each child car seat or booster seat after a claimed accident. Is that enough for you?
Those heading off on a road trip can enjoy up to 90 days cover when driving in the EU (longer than you might find elsewhere)—but you'll need to pay an extra premium and arrange this before you leave home.
5 Things to Know About Sheilas’ Wheels
- 5 star Defaqto rating (pro)
- Higher cancellation fees (con)
- Calls to customer service, claims, renewals, etc. are chargeable 0345 numbers, costing up to 12p per minute (con)
- Sheilas’ Wheels is part of esure, one of the top 10 biggest UK car insurance companies
- You can accumulate up to 20 years of No Claims Discount (pro)
Here is a high-level summary of Sheilas’ Wheels comprehensive cover features according to this specimen policy—remember, these features are always subject to conditions and exclusions and you should check your policy document and features before you buy in case they differ from this sample document.
|How Good is Sheilas' Wheels Car Insurance?||A Good Policy Includes||Does Sheilas' Wheels Deliver?||Sheilas' Wheels Comprehensive Coverage|
|"Must Have" Features|
|Windscreen||Full repair or replacement||Included (use their repairer, Autoglass)|
|Belongings||£200+||Included but amounts not specified|
|Keys||£300+||Up to £500 for theft, provided you can convince Sheilas' Wheels that the identity or location of your car is known to whomever has the keys, transmitter or entry card. Add on available to cover higher limit, loss and accidental damage.|
|Protected NCD||2 times in 3 years (standard or optional extra)||If you buy the add on (min 4 years of NCD required, unlimited claims allowed for life of policy)|
|Car recovery after accident||Included||Included|
|Courtesy car (repairs)||Minimum 14 days||Included|
|Repairs guaranteed (if use approved repairer)||12-month guarantee||5 years (for labour not parts)|
|"Should Have" Features|
|New car replacement||Theft or damage at least 60% of list price; cars up to 12 months old; first owner||If damage repair will cost more than 55% of the list price|
|Stereo and satellite nav||Market value for manufactur fitted||Unlimited for original spec, manufacturer-fitted equipment|
|Alternative transport & Hotel after accident||£250+||Up to £250 for driver, £500 for everyone in car for hotel if necessary; no mention of onward travel cover|
|24-hour emergency helpline||Standard||Included|
|Courtesy car (total loss or theft)||Standard or add-on extra||Not available|
|Motor legal expenses||Standard or add-on extra||If you buy the add on|
|Breakdown cover||Standard or add-on extra||If you buy the add on|
|"Could Have" Features|
|Same cover in EU||Standard or add-on extra||Up to 90 days, if you pay an extra premium ahead of time|
|Child car seat replacement after accident, theft, fire||Ideally replaced even if no visible damage||Up to £100 towards the cost of replacing each child car seat/booster seat|
|Larger/premium courtesy car||Standard or add-on extra||Not available|
|No fault NCD protection||Standard||Not available|
|Uninsured driver NCD protection||Standard||Not available|
|Cancellation fee||No more than £50||£26 within the 14-day cooling off period; £60 afterwards during first period of insurance|
Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Customer Service Reviews and Ratings
Most customers would recommend Sheilas’ Wheels, but difficulties reaching customer service can be an issue for some people. We've scoured reviews left by customers online; here's what we found.
Sheilas’ Wheels Trustpilot
Sheilas’ Wheels has earned a respectable 4.0 star rating from over 2,400 customers at Trustpilot, but only 70% of customers rate their experience as excellent. Here are a few of the "Excellent" reviews so you can see what customers like about Sheilas' Wheels:
"Came up tops with their quote, and I didnt even have to find my proof of NCD as an email from Sheila's Wheels popped up in my mailbox advising the same as they can access a national database. A happy customer."
"Best price—online easy to use."
In contrast, 12% rated their experience with Sheilas' Wheels as "bad". We read through the negative reviews to find the most common complaints. A number of customers complained of costly calls to cancel or renew (up to 12p per minute), involving long waits in the queue and no indication of where you are in the queue. Other customers are unhappy with the Sheilas' Wheels' cancellation and administration fees. Here are a few customer comments to give you a flavour of common complaints:
"Cannot opt not to renew on the online site—have to pay for a premium rate call to do so."
"Got charged £50 to cancel a car insurance policy. Been a customer for many years. Very disappointed."
Sheilas’ Wheels Defaqto
Sheilas’ Wheels has received a 5 star rating from Defaqto for robust features.
|Sheilas’ Wheels Ratings & Customer Reviews|
|Defaqto||5 star ratings|
Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Quote Comparison
We did a quick price comparison to understand how competitive Sheilas’ Wheels is, based on a sample driver who is a 30-year-old male driving a used 2017 Ford Fiesta.
Prices can vary significantly for different driver and car profiles so please don't assume you will get similar quotes, but this information can be useful to see how brands compare in at least one case. We found that Sheilas’ Wheels prices were somewhere mid market when compared to competing offers from some of the largest auto insurance companies. While Sheilas’ Wheels was quite competitive, they did not seem to be the cheapest, at least for our sample driver, which you may want to keep in mind if price is your biggest priority. That said, you may find Sheilas' Wheels to be cheaper for your profile—be sure to check prices yourself.
|Sheilas' Wheels Cost Comparison||Price estimate for sample 30-year-old Ford Fiesta driver|
Please keep in mind that these are estimates for a sample profile, and you may receive quotes that are significantly more or less than these.
Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Deals
Sheilas’ Wheels can offer deals if you're a good driver with a safe driving history and/or have a history of no claims (up to 20 years!). Additionally, you can save money with Sheilas' Wheels by paying annually instead of in monthly instalments and being selective about the optional extras you choose to add to your policy.
Sheilas’ Wheels Cancellation Fees
Sheilas’ Wheels cancellation fees are just slightly higher than average cancellation fees, costing £26 if you cancel your policy during the 14-day cooling off period, and £60 afterwards during the first period of cover. In subsequent periods you'd pay £35 to cancel your Sheilas' Wheels car insurance after the cooling off period. Other admin changes (e.g., changing your address) will cost £26. These fees are all in addition to any additional premium required (e.g., if you add another driver) or premium for coverage to date in the event of cancellation.
|Sheilas' Wheels Admin and Cancellation Fees|
|Cancel policy during the 14 day cooling off period||£26|
|Cancel policy in the first period of cover (after 14-day cooling off period)||£60|
|Cancel policy in subsequent periods of cover (after 14-day cooling off period)||£35|
|Other admin changes (e.g., changing payment details, adding a driver or changing address)||£26|
Important Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Numbers
Sheilas’ Wheels Customer service can be reached at 0345 045 2000 Monday to Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 9am-2pm. In addition, there's a 24/7 chat bot available online, although we generally find these are quite limited in how much they can help.
|Sheilas’ Wheels Car Insurance Contact Numbers|
|Customer service and sales||0345 045 2000|
|Multicar sales||0800 917 4651|
|Claims||0345 604 3570|
|Renewals||0345 604 3553|
|Accident recovery||0345 604 3570|
|Windscreen repair helpline||0800 085 8459|
|Motoring legal advice helpline||0345 850 9596|
|Breakdown assistance||0800 085 6840|
Sheilas’ Wheels Policy Documents
We've tried to highlight some notable features of comprehensive Sheilas’ Wheels policies in this review. To learn more about the full terms, exclusions and conditions please refer to the Sheilas’ Wheels policy wording.
- Q: Does Sheilas’ Wheels give a discount for a second car?
- A: Sheilas’ Wheels offers multicar policies for drivers aged 25 and over.
- Q: Is Sheilas’ Wheels part of esure?
- A: Yes, Sheilas’ Wheels is part of the esure brand, and is underwritten by esure—as they are owned by esure, in essence they are the same company. (Sheilas’ Wheels is not part of Admiral, as some people think.)
- Q: Who underwrites Sheilas’ Wheels?
- Sheilas’ Wheels home and car insurance is underwritten by esure Insurance Limited, registered in England and Wales number 3885534.
- Q: Can a man insure with Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: Yes, a man can buy car insurance from Sheilas’ Wheels. In fact, many men are insured by Sheilas' Wheels already. Sheilas' Wheels are not just for women!
- Q: Can I drive another car on my Sheilas’ Wheels insurance?
- Driving other cars is covered by Sheilas' Wheels depending on if you have that extension, and is subject to lots of restrictions (e.g., you need the owner's permission). If your certificate of motor insurance does cover driving other cars then this cover is 3rd party liability cover only.
- Q: Is Sheilas’ Wheels a good insurance company?
- Sheilas’ Wheels offers a good set of features, as evidenced by its 5 star Defaqto rating and discussed in our review; in addition the customer reviews are relatively strong but there are some common complaints.
- Q: Do you get charged for changing your address on Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: Yes. You will be be charged a £26 admin fee for changing your address with Sheilas’ Wheels—plus, the new address might result in a change to your premium (e.g., if you move to an area more prone to claims).
- Q: Do Sheilas’ Wheels cover panoramic roofs?
- A: No. Sheilas’ Wheels does not cover the repair or replacement of damaged glass in sunroofs or fixed or moveable glass roof panels.
- Q: Does replacement windscreen or windscreen repair count as a claim on Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: No. Claims made under the Windscren Damage section of the policy will NOT affect your No Claim Discount.
- Q: Does Sheilas’ Wheels include key cover?
- Sheilas’ Wheels includes up to £500 for theft, subject to conditions; if you want higher coverage or cover for accidental damage and loss then you'll need to buy the Key Car extra cover.
- Q: Does key cover affect no claims on Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: If you have purchased the extra "Key Cover" then claims made under this optional extra will not affect your No Claim Discount; however, if you have not purchased this extra then key theft claims made on your comprehensive policy will affect your No Claim Discount.
- Q: Does Sheilas’ Wheels include breakdown?
- A: Sheilas’ Wheels doesn't include breakdown as standard but it can be purchased from around £38 (price at Moneysupermarket).
- Q: Does Sheilas’ Wheels car insurance automatically renew?
- A: In most cases Sheilas’ Wheels car insurance will automatically renew, if you pay by direct debit or debit/credit card.
- Q: When will I get my renewal price from Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: Your renewal invitation is available 21 days before you renew and can be accessed through your online account.
- Q: What's the maximum No Claims Bonus at Sheilas’ Wheels?
- A: Sheilas’ Wheels gives a maximum of 20 years of No Claims Discount!
- Q: How do you buy Sheilas’ Wheels car insurance?
- A: Consumers can buy Sheilas’ Wheels car insurance from their website or from comparison sites such as Moneysupermarket.
Other Car Insurance Reviews
If you'd like to compare Sheilas’ Wheels to other car insurance companies, see our other car insurance reviews below: