24|7 Home Rescue offers a number of options for insuring your home against emergencies like boiler breakdown, plumbing & draining problems, electricity breakdowns, security issues. Here's what you need to know before you buy.
24|7 Home Rescue Review
If you're looking for a home emergency plan, 24|7 Home Rescue is a relative newcomer to the market but they've made quite a splash. Great customer reviews bode well for your experience when you're facing a home emergency, and some of their terms are particularly attractive (e.g., can cancel at any time while it's a monthly contract not an annual contract). Here's what we like about their offering:
Why We Like 24|7 Home Rescue
- They claim to fix problems on the first visit 95% of the time
- They've earned 4.5 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot
- Unlimited call outs & repair requests
- Parts and labour are included, and they only use new parts for repairs (from the manufacturer where possible)
- 24|7 aims to reach you in 4 hours, or at least the same day, but this is not guaranteed—they give priority to homes with a resident who is over 60 years old, under 5 years old or vulnerable
- They have access to plumbers, drainage experts, electricians, locksmiths and security specialists to help as needed
- Initial 30-day rolling monthly contract
However, the 30-day rolling agreement that all plans start off on isn't necessarily as attractive as it sounds—plans start on a 30-day rolling contract so you're not tied in for a year BUT once you make a service request or have a boiler service the plan converts to a 12-month agreement. So most people, assuming you have a boiler service at the very least, will end up on a 12-month plan. That may be fine for many people, but we wanted to point this out so you're not surprised if your 'no-commitment' rolling monthly plan turns into an annual contract.
24|7 Home Rescue offers homeowners and landlords 4 different boiler, heating and home care plans to choose from. Here is an overview of the features on each plan:
|24 7 Home Rescue Plans||Boiler Service||Boiler Care||Heating Care||Home Care|
|Annual Boiler Service||yes||yes||yes|
|CP12 Certificate (landlord only)||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Central Heating System||n/a||n/a||yes||yes|
|Internal Plumbing & Drainage||n/a||n/a||n/a||yes|
|External Plumbing & Drainage||n/a||n/a||n/a||yes|
What's Not Included
Packages offered by 24|7 are service plans, not insurance products. They do not offer features like boiler replacement or accommodation in the event your home is left uninhabitable by an emergency situation. Here is more information on what's not included. Read their terms and conditions to find out more.
- General maintenance such as descaling of central heating pipes, adjusting timing/ temperature controls of a gas central heating system, radiator bleeding, and pressure issues.
- Maintaining or replacing fan convector heaters, heated towel rails or underfloor heating.
- Corrosion or any work arising from hard water scale deposits is not included.
- Sludge or hard water scale removal from a protected system is not covered, nor is the repair or replacement of parts that have failed to due sludge or scale.
- Pre-existing or intermittent faults are not covered.
- Boiler replacement is not covered.
- Alternative accommodation if your home is uninhabitable is not included.
- Boilers not serviced in the past 12 months are not covered.
- Boilers beyond economic repair (meaning it will cost too much to repair relative to the cost of a new boiler) are not covered.
That said, you can get some level of boiler replacement plan if you buy a boiler from 24|7 and have it installed by them—this is their 24|7 Stay Warm plan.
24|7 Customer Ratings
24|7 must be doing something right because they have very high customer ratings, which we think is important for a home emergency service company. In fact, at the time of writing over 38,000 customers had rated 24|7 Home Rescue with a Trustscore of 4.5 stars out of 5 at Trustpilot. In fact, 74% of customers rated their experience as "Excellent" while 9% rated their experience as "Bad." Here's what some happy customers have to say about their experience:
"The engineer phoned to let me know his eta. Whilst with us he explained everything and checked everything before he left. Very professional."
"Engineer, very polite, on time and found the fault straight away."
The most common complaint for 24|7 was related to breakdowns of boilers where the repair cost is high relative to the cost of the boiler. Boilers that are deemed too expensive to repair relative to the value of the boiler are not covered. They're deemed not economically repairable, or Beyond Economic Repair (BER). If the cost of repair is 60% or more than the manufacturer’s current recommended retail price, you won't be covered.
24|7 Boiler/Appliance Partners
Here is a list of some of the boiler and appliance companies that work with 24|7.
- Worcester Bosch Group
- Glow worm
Those over 65 years of age or who are members of the following groups may be able to receive a 24|7 discount:
- Residential Landlords Association
- Money Saving Card
- Senior Citizen
- Vectis Discount Card
- Royal Navy
- Royal Air Force
Depending on the features you need, a 24|7 service plan will cost from £4.49 a month up to £9.99 a month (or £1 extra per month for landlords). Keep in mind that there is also a £95 call out fee, which you pay once per repair request, so you only pay one call out fee even if an engineer visits multiple times for the same problem. The call out fee includes an engineer for up to 2 hours of work and up to £50 for any parts required. Any further time or parts required costs extra.
|24 7 Home Rescue Monthly Prices (£95 call-out fee)||Homeowner||Landlord|
24|7 has recently brought prices down to be more in line with the average cost of home emergency plans in the UK, which we are glad to see.