Your dog is just as important as any other member of the family, making it difficult when you leave them behind to go on holiday. Not only is this costly in terms of boarding or kennel prices, but it can stress your dog, as well as leaving a void in your family unit. Being around a dog relieves stress, so it's only natural to want yours on holiday with you.
The great news is that there's a plethora of dog-friendly caravan sites up and down the country which are surrounded by miles of beach or countryside—perfect for off-lead walking. For example, some sites provide dog washing facilities, dog bed and bowls, etc. In no particular order, here are the top 10 best-rated dog-friendly caravan parks that are best for off-lead walks, as voted for by users of campsites.co.uk.
- Location: Ratham Ln, West Ashling, Chichester PO18 8DL
- Site information: Concierge Camping is a luxury caravan and glamping site. It is situated on the Rathham estate, with close proximity to Chichester, Portsmouth and Bognor Regis.
- Dog walking facilities: Concierge camping borders on the South Downs National Park, which boasts 628 square miles of breathtaking scenery for you and your dog to explore. The site is just a few hundred meters from the start of the park, with hundreds of potential walks for your pooch to enjoy across different terrains.
- Location: Woodovis Cottages, Gulworthy, Tavistock PL19 8NY
- Site information: Set on a 5 star camping and caravan park in Devon, Woodovis Park is located in the historic market town of Tavistock. There is an annual Gulworthy fete and dog show held August at the site, meaning not only is your dog most welcome—he might just win a medal too!
- Dog walking facilities: As you'd expect with the rich landscape of Devon, there is so much surrounding Woodovis Park for your dog to enjoy, and off-lead walks are no exception. From Tamar Valley, which is an area of outstanding natural beauty to the Dartmoor National Park, there are miles of walks perfect for dogs of all abilities. If you fancy journeying further out, why not take advantage of one of the many dog-friendly beaches Devon has to offer? Soar Mill Cove beach is just over 30 miles from Woodovis Park and is open to dogs all year round.
Langstone Manor Holiday Park
- Location: Moortown, Tavistock PL19 9JZ
- Site information: Langstone Manor Holiday Park is rated 5 stars, and has previously been voted in the top 100 of the AA's top caravan parks. The park offers luxurious glamping pods, which are pet free. However, the site does welcome dogs at its touring caravan and camping areas.
- Dog walking facilities: Also situated on the Dartmoor National Park, Langstone Manor Holiday Park has miles of off-the-beaten-track walks and trails to explore. Just a stone's throw from the park you will find the nature reserve of Windy Post Granite Cross, with its stunning rock formations and waterfalls set against the backdrop of the open Devon countryside. Your dogs will thoroughly enjoy exploring all the area has to offer.
- Location: Cofton Ln, Exeter EX6 8RP
- Site information: Sitting along the bank of the River Exe, Cofton Holidays is a 5 star hotel and caravan park situated in Exeter.
- Dog walking facilities: If your dog loves nothing more than running free on the beach, then take advantage of nearby Dawlish Warren Beach, which is open to dogs all year round. Your dog can also enjoy a walk along Dawlish Town Beach, except between 1st April-30th September. The park is also surrounded by miles of paths and countryside, taking you right up to Mamhead Park.
Hele Valley Holiday Park
- Location: Hele Bay, Ilfracombe EX34 9RD
- Site information: Situated in the popular holiday resort of Ilfracombe, Hele Valley Holiday Park caters to caravans, lodges and houses. The park is pet-friendly, and also has pet washing facilities—perfect after a long day of walkies through beautiful Devon.
- Dog walking facilities: Skirting along the Bristol Channel on the North Devon coast, the park also is situated on the edge of Dunkery & Horner Wood National Nature Reserve. If you plan to make a day of it, a popular dog-walking route is Exmoor circular walk, which takes around an hour to complete. Closer to the holiday park, dogs are permitted to use the following Ilfracombe beaches all year round: The Cove, Raparee, Larkstone and Cheyne.
Hendra Holiday Park
- Location: Hendra Terrace, Newquay TR8 4NY
- Site information: The Cornish resort offers 3 types of dog-friendly caravans, complete with pet beds and dog bowls, meaning all members of your family can enjoy a holiday together. In addition, there are lots of dog-friendly pubs, beaches, attractions and gardens nearby.
- Dog walking facilities: As well as being surrounded by plenty of dog-friendly establishments, Hendra Holiday Park is a short walk from the River Gannel. The area has winding off-road paths for you to walk your dog in complete peace and tranquillity. There are several dog-friendly beaches in Newquay, including Crantock Beach, Great Western Beach and Holywell Bay Beach.
Hill Cottage Farm Camping and Caravan Park
- Location: Sandleheath Rd, Alderholt, Fordingbridge SP6 3EG
- Site information: For a dog-friendly caravan park in Hampshire, look no further than the Hill Cottage Farm Camping and Caravan Park, which offers both touring and camping facilities for visitors and their dogs.
- Dog walking facilities: The park is located close to Cranborne Chase, which is an area of outstanding natural beauty. Travel along the nearby B3078, and you'll also find the New Forest National Park. Both locations offer hundreds of square miles of walks for you and your dog to enjoy. Nearby Dorset offers plenty of dog-friendly walks, meaning your pooch will be spoiled for choice.
King's Lynn Caravan and Camping Park
- Location: Parkside House, New Rd, North Runcton, King's Lynn PE33 0QR
- Site information: Located in the heart of Norfolk, King's Lynn Caravan and Camping Park is set in 10 acres of parkland, giving your dog plenty of space to run around in. The park also welcomes you to create campfires for than authentic outdoor experience. The park is ideal for those looking for peace and quiet, with access to stunning local nature.
- Dog walking facilities: There are acres of fields and farmland around King's Lynn Caravan and Camping Park, making it ideal for long off-lead walks. For the royal wag of approval, head to the nearby Sandringham country park which offers an array of areas for your dog to enjoy a long walk. There are 4 dog-friendly beaches in Kings Lynn and the surrounding area, including Brancaster Beach, Burnham Overy Staithe, Holkham Beach and Wells-Next-To-The Sea.
Old Oaks Touring Park
- Location: Wick Farm, Wick Ln, Glastonbury BA6 8JS
- Site information: All pitches at Old Oaks Touring Park are dog-friendly, with a maximum of 3 dogs allowed per pitch. There is a 300m secure dog walk trail on-site, in addition to a dog shower, washing machines specifically for dog bedding and blankets, home-baked dog treats and much more. There's even a 'dog stop' where you can park your dog temporarily if you need to pop out.
- Dog walking facilities: Although Old Oaks Touring Park is so well equipped for your dogs you might not want to venture further out, there is plenty of dog-friendly land to explore in the surrounding area of Somerset. The park is just down the road from Mendip Hills, which is an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Mendip way covers a staggering 50 miles, however, there are shorter walks available. The area around Old Oaks Touring Park also has plenty of lanes and countryside which are perfect for off-lead walking. Take a look at their gallery of dogs enjoying the park if you need more convincing.
Stowford Farm Meadows
- Location: Berry Down, Combe Martin, Ilfracombe EX34 0PW
- Site information: Nestled in over 70 acres of woodland, Stowford Farm Meadows is a dog-friendly caravan park, also accepting pets into its holiday cottages. The park also has day dog kennels, meaning you are free to explore the local area or enjoy a swim, knowing your pet is being well taken care of. In September, the park hosts a charity dog show with displays, classes, trade stands and much more. The park also has dog exercise areas nearby.
- Dog walking facilities: Stowford Farm Meadows has so much for your dog to explore, with plenty of off-lead walking opportunities available right here on the park itself. Located nearby the park is the Dunkery & Horner Wood National Nature Reserve, in addition to several dog-friendly beaches in nearby Ilfracombe. If you fancy getting off the beaten track closer to the park, there is the nearby Colam Stream, boasting paths and woodland which snake around the picturesque local terrain for miles.