Co-op Home Insurance Review: The Cover and Price for You?

Co-op Home Insurance Review: The Cover and Price for You?

Good for

  • Home rebuild costs less than £500,000
  • No Claims Discount
  • Covering Accidental Damage
  • Paying a lower premium

Bad for

  • Those wanting higher Home Emergency call out cover
  • Those who want cover for plants, trees and shrubs in the garden

Editor's Rating


The guidance on this site is based on our own analysis and is meant to help you identify options and narrow down your choices. We do not advise or tell you which product to buy; undertake your own due diligence before entering into any agreement. Read our full disclosure here.

Cheap Home Insurance in Your Area

Quickly compare over 3 dozen UK insurance providers. Only one form to fill out.

{"applyCallToAction":"Get Quotes","defaultSelectedItem":"home","description":"Quickly compare over 3 dozen UK insurance providers. Only one form to fill out.","formType":"Insurance","onCurrent":true,"options":[{"label":"Car Insurance","url":"https:\/\/\/redirect?","value":"car"},{"label":"Home Insurance","url":"https:\/\/\/redirect?","value":"home"},{"label":"Motorbike Insurance","url":"https:\/\/\/redirect?","value":"motorbike"},{"label":"Pet Insurance","url":"https:\/\/\/redirect?","value":"pet"},{"label":"Travel Insurance","url":"https:\/\/\/redirect?","value":"travel"}],"title":"Cheap Home Insurance in Your Area"}

Co-op offers relatively good prices for buildings and contents insurance for homes with a rebuild value under £500,000. Finding the best home insurance for you will depend upon your individual needs and situation. There may be other home insurance plans with better features available, some of which you can read about in our top picks for home insurance companies.

In This Review

Co-op Home Insurance Review: What You Need to Know

Co-op Home Insurance can be a solid, affordable option for those who need £500,000 of buildings cover or less. Since Co-op plans are limited to £500k of buildings cover and a significant 30% No Claims Discount if you haven't claimed in the past year, Co-op premiums can be lower than average (most other insurers offer a higher level of buildings cover up to £1,000,000 or even an unlimited amount, resulting in higher quotes).

We like that there is some level of Accidental Damage cover included as standard, to protect (as part of Contents cover) non-portable TV's, computers, DVD, audio and video equipment plus fixed glass in furniture, fish tanks, mirrors and ceramic in hobs; plus (as part of Buildings cover) physical damage to underground pipes, drains and cables, accidental breakage of fixed glass, sanitary fittings, ceramic in hobs and solar panels. If you want to cover events like wine spills on the carpet or accidentally drilling through a cable, then extra Accidental Damage can be purchased for around £31 for Buildings and/or £16 for Contents (for a 2-bed property).

Co-op's optional Home Emergency cover also costs less than average, with a particularly interesting price in the first year—only around 12 pence! In the second year, expect to pay around £16, then £25.50 in the third year. Co-op's HomeRescue cover will, however, pay only £250 per call out. Typically, call out charges are reimbursed up to £500 with Home Emergency cover. If you think £250 is enough for your needs, then Co-op's Home Emergency cover will cost you much less than average.

If you live in a flat, you may have trouble getting an online quote. We were unsuccessful doing so—a message popped up saying we couldn't proceed with an online quote and asked us to call Co-op for a quote. The website seems to be able to quote for houses, however. We can't say for sure if this happens to all online quote requests for flats, or if there was something unusual about our process. If you have success getting an online quote for a flat, please leave a note in our discussion feature below so we can update this section.

Co-op Home Insurance Key Facts

  • One, simple plan with up to £500,000 for buildings and up to £75,000 for contents
  • All plans include Legal and limited Accidental Damage cover
  • Can add more comprehensive Accidental Damage, Home Emergency and Personal Possessions cover
  • 30% No Claims Discount if no claims in the past 12 months
  • £50 Co-op Food vouchers when you buy a new home (combined buildings and contents) policy

Co-op Home Insurance Price Comparison

We found that Co-op's home insurance plans run roughly 35% less than the market average. We attribute this discount, at least in part, to Co-op's lower than average Buildings limit of £500,000. The typical level of buildings cover for UK home insurance policies is either £1,000,000 or an unlimited amount. In addition, Co-op plans do not include extended Accidental Damage, Home Emergency cover or Personal Possessions cover—adding some of these features (with £2k of Personal Possession cover) onto a basic policy could bring the cost up roughly £80 (less year one due to HomeRescue discounts).

We gathered pricing data from the Co-op website to give you a general idea of how Co-op home insurance quotes compare to others in the market. For the purposes of this exercise, we quoted for a 30-year-old policyholder living in a mortgaged, 2-bedroom property in London, who had made no claims in the past few years. Insurance quotes can vary significantly from day to day and according to your individual details, so please just use the following data for educational purposes only; your quotes may reflect a large degree of variation. Additionally, insurance policies across different companies can be difficult to compare directly, as they can vary in terms of excess, cover amounts, etc.

chart comparing admiral home insurance premiums costs to market averages
Here's how Co-op home insurance prices compare to market average premiums

Co-op gives the option to choose an excess of £50, £100, £150 or £300. A policy with a higher excess will have a lower premium, because you're committing to pay more towards any valid claims. While a lower premium is certainly enticing, before signing up for a policy with a higher excess be sure you're able to cover the excess in the event of a valid claim.

Co-op Home (Buildings and Contents) Insurance Add-On Costs

Here are estimated costs of add-on extras for a mortgaged, owner-occupied, 2-bed property in London when you buy an Co-op buildings & contents home insurance policy. It can be useful to have an idea of the approximate cost of these optional features when you're deciding what cover to buy.

Co-op Home Insurance ExtrasEstimated Cost
Accidental Damage - Buildings£31
Accidental Damage - Contents£16
Accidental Damage - Buildings & Contents£47
Home Emergency Cover£0.12 (£16 second year, £25.50 third year)
Personal Possessions (£2k)£20
Personal Possessions (£5k)£26
Personal Possessions (£10k)£37
chart showing approximate cost of home insurance add ons for Co-op home insurance
How much will you pay for home insurance extras?

Co-op Home Cover: Features

Co-op's home insurance plan includes features like personal possessions, accidental damage, home emergency and family legal as standard. Admiral's basic and Gold plans do not include these features, although they can be added for an extra cost to create a customized home insurance policy. Limits can be found below in the Policies section. For more complete details like inner limits and exclusions, please see the policy documents.

Co-op Home Insurance FeaturesNotes
Personal Possessions
  • Details
    • Cover for loss or damage to items like mobile phones, watches, jewellery, laptops, bicycles, wallets and purses when you're away from home
    • Cover outside of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands is limited to 60 days per policy year
  • Notable Exclusions
    • Theft from a vehicle is only a valid claim if the item was hidden from view in a locked boot or closed glove compartment, when car is securely locked
Accidental Damage
  • Details
    • See table below for details on what types of Accidental Damage are standard and which are OPTIONAL EXTRA
    • Available for Buildings, Contents or both
  • Notable Exclusions
    • Does not cover liquid damage to mobile phones
    • some items including contact lenses and eye glasses not covered
  • Details
    • Cover to temporarily repair home emergencies related to blocked or leaking drains/pipes/radiators within the home, internal gas pipes, pests, failure of main heating source/boiler/hot water system where no alternative exists, failure of gas or electric
    • accommodation up to £100 if your home is uninhabitable
    • up to £250 per call out
    • 24-hour HomeRescue emergency 24-hour helpline (0345 607 6472)
  • Notable Exclusions
    • Equipment with microchip failure not covered
    • Domestic appliances not covered
    • No cover for domestic garages, greenhouses or outbuildings
    • Doesn't cover replacement of boiler
Family Legal
  • Details
    • Included
    • 24-hour legal helpline (0330 606 9504)
    • Legal costs up to £50,000

Interestingly, Co-op includes an element of accidental damage cover on their standard plans, with the option to increase cover. If you're wondering how different types of accidental damage are covered with Co-op home insurance, we've broken out the details in the table below.

How Accidental Damage is Covered with Co-op
ContentsStandard ContentsCover for certain items in the home such as TV's, computers, DVD, audio and video equipment (but not portable items such as laptops and tablets) plus fixed glass in furniture, fish tanks, mirrors and ceramic in hobs
OPTIONAL Contents Accidental DamageCovers other types of accidental damage such as spilling wine on your sofa, spililng paint on your carpet or dropping an ornament. Mobile phones and cameras are covered as well.
OPTIONAL Personal PossessionsCover for portable items of audio, video and computer equipment such as laptops and tablets both in and away from the home
BuildingsStandard BuildingsCover for some physical damage to underground pipes, drains and cables; accidental breakage of fixed glass, sanitary fittings, ceramic in hobs and solar panels
OPTIONAL Buildings Accidental DamageCover for other types of accidental damage e.g., stepping through the ceiling while in the loft or DIY misshaps such as drilling through a pipe or cable
How to Cover your Bicycle(s) with Co-op Home Insurance
At HomeCovered under Contents Insurance for fire, theft and malicious damage (limit of £2000 for theft of contents from outbuildings and a limit of £500 for loss or damage occurring in the garden)
Away from Home (bike locked to a fixed point)Bike value under £1,000Add unspecified personal possessions cover
Bike value between £1k and £2,500Add the bike as a specified personal possession

Co-op Home Insurance Notable Exclusions

Co-op home insurance exclusions include (but are not limited to) damage to fences, gates or hedges, loss or damage if you've been away for 60 days or more (occasional visits don't count), frost damage, damage by pets, subsidence (due to coastal or river erosion, settlement, faulty workmanship, etc.), etc.

A few exclusions stood out to us as particularly mentionable. You may want to keep them in mind if you go with Co-op or as you're comparing different home insurance plans. It's always a good idea to read through the full list of exclusions in the policy documents as we've only mentioned some exclusions here and others may be more relevant to you.

  • 1. For policies including Personal Possessions cover, theft from a vehicle is only included if the item is hidden from sight in a locked boot or a closed glove box, and the car doors and windows are securely locked—note, the policy documents do not specify a "theft from vehicle" limit (we frequently see a £1k or £2k limit from many other insurers).
  • 2. Those who go abroad for more than 60 days at a time (perhaps to a second, holiday home) won't have cover for escaping water or oil, theft, vandalism, freezing of fixed water/heating system/fixed domestic appliance, fixed glass/sanitary fittings/mirrors, food in the freezer, contents in garden, etc.
  • 3. Doesn't cover loss or damage during household removals to valuables/clothing or any loss or damage caused by theft/attempted theft unless access to from furniture depository gained by violent and forcible means.
  • 4. Loss of or damage to mobile phones due to liquid not covered.
  • 5. Plants, trees and shrubs in the garden are not covered.

No Claims Discount

Co-op offers a No Claims Discount on Buildings and Contents insurance. Personal Possessions, Legal Expenses and HomeRescue Plus are not eligible for a No Claims Discount—this means that any claim you make under these areas of cover will not affect your No Claim Discount under Buildings and Contents. Currently, Co-op offers a guaranteed 30% No Claim Discount if you've made no claims or losses within the previous 12 months. Besides that, the NCD works according to the following details:

No Claims Discounts Scale
NCD increases with each claim free year from Nil to:10%15%20%30%40%

One claim will lose one year’s No Claim Discount (e.g., 40% drops to 30%, etc.), two claims will lose two years’ No Claim Discount (e.g., 40% to 20%, etc.) and three claims will reduce your No Claim Discount to Nil, regardless of your previous discount. Once you hit the maximum 40% No Claim Discount on either Buildings or Contents, you can request protection for your No Claim Discount for that section, for an additional cost.

Co-op Buildings & Contents Insurance: What's Covered?

Co-op cover protects against calamities such as fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake, smoke, frost, attempted theft, storm, flood, escaping water and oil, subsidence (depending on cause, etc.), etc.

Co-op Home Cover Limits (For Buildings & Contents Cover)

Buildings Insurance
Loss or damage from specific events e.g. fire, theft, storm, flood, subsidence, escape of water etcUp to £500,000 rebuilding costs
Accidental damage e.g. putting your foot through a ceilingOptional
Property owner’s liabilityUp to £2m plus legal costs
Loss of rent and the cost of alternative accommodationUp to £20,000
Accidental breakage of fixed glass in doors, windows and greenhouses, sanitary fittings and solar panelsYes
Accidental damage to underground pipes, drains and cablesYes
Cover for domestic outbuildings, including sheds, garages and greenhousesYes
Architects’, surveyors’, consultants’ and legal fees; costs of debris removal and of local authority requirementsYes
Legal expenses coverUp to £50,000 as standard
Legal advice helplineYes
HomeRescue Plus coverOptional
HomeRescue helplineYes
Contents Insurance
Loss or damage from specific events e.g. fire, theft, storm, flood, subsidence, escape of water etcUp to the sum insured on contents †
New for old replacement of items (except household linen and clothing)Yes
Theft from domestic outbuildingsUp to £2,000
Accidental damage e.g. spilling paint on a carpetOptional
Personal and occupier’s liabilityUp to £2m plus legal costs
Tenant’s liabilityUp to 20% of the sum insured on contents
Liability for rent and the cost of alternative accommodationUp to 20% of the sum insured on contents
Office equipment in the home e.g. computers, office furniture, fax machines, printersUp to £5,000
High risk items e.g. jewellery, watches, TV’s, cameras (limit of £2,000 per article, pair, set or collection)Limit selected by you
Personal money in the homeUp to £250
Fraudulent use of credit cards following theft from the homeUp to £250
Contents in the gardenUp to £500
Food in the freezerUp to £1,000
Replacement external locks following theft of door keysUp to £500
Accidental damage to computer equipment (but not portable items such as laptops), TV's, videos, DVD players etcYes^^
Accidental breakage of mirrors, fixed glass in furniture and ceramic in hobsYes
Visitors’ personal belongings (limit per visitor)Up to £500
Contents temporarily away from the homeUp to 20% of the sum insured on contents^
Student belongings away from the homeUp to £5,000^
10% increase in the sum insured on contents around religious events or festivals and family weddings, civil ceremonies or birthdaysYes
Loss or damage to contents caused during household removal by professional removal contractorsYes^
Cost of preparing new title deeds due to loss or damageUp to £500
Loss of oil or metered waterUp to £1,000
Fatal injury in the home£5,000
Unspecified Personal Possessions coverOptional (see below)
Legal expenses coverUp to £50,000 as standard
Legal advice helplineYes
HomeRescue Plus coverOptional
HomeRescue helpline

If you opt for Personal Possessions cover, you're able to specify personal possessions worth more than £2,000 on your policy. In terms of cover for personal property items worth under £2,000, the following limits apply:

Unspecified Personal Possessions Limits
£2,000 for any one article, pair, set or collection
£1,000 for any one pedal cycle, wheelchair, invalid carriage and its accessories
£1,000 in total for sports equipment
£250 for loss of or damage to mobile phones (plus up to £25 for lost calls)
£500 for loss of money
£500 for the fraudulent use of any credit cards

Other Useful Information